2011 Salty Fly Tournament: “Spots and Dots”
Registration is full with 45 teams 90 anglers. Largest Fly Tournament in Florida.
Next Tournament will be held Feb 25th 2012
Keep up to the minute dates by clicking “Like” on the Salty Fly Page
Last year’s tournament Video.
- 2.24.2011 update: Got a care package from Scientific Angler, Ultra Thon and got the ID chip from Castaway Customs.
- 2.22.2011 update: Picked up the 2 days 3 night stay certificate from Pirate’s Pointe Resort.
- 2.21.2011 update: Picked up the Nautilus trophies a couple days ago. Got in Fly boxes from Flint Creek and Tampa Bay on the Fly.
- 2.11.2011 update: got in the Freedom Hawk Kayak Precision Pack Bags
- 2.7.,2011 update: Started working on F.A.Q. page for the day of the tournament here.
- 2.7.2011 update: Finished the Simple waiver everyone must sign. If you want to get it done early have it with you print it out and fill out the form.
- 2.7.2011 update: Got in 2 G.Loomis Cross Current Fly rods. A 7 wt and 8wt to the raffle.
- 1.30.2011 update: got in the “Salty Fly” Engraved Galvin Reel.
- 1.25.2011 update: TFO BVK 8wt arrived yesterday
- 1.24.2011 update: Croakies ARC came in as well as Maxima leader materials.
- 1.19.2011 update: Got the prodcuts form Royal Wulf Line, Echo Fly Rod, and Air Flo fly lines.
- 1.18.2011 update: Added the 5 overflow teams. We sent out emails to everyone on the waiting list and it was sold out in 12 hours.
- 1.10.2011 update: Little Harbor Resort Certificate for 2 day 1 night stay at the resort. Special Salty Fly angler rates: $89-$109. (Mention Salty Fly)
- 1.7.2011 update: Cables.com Eyewear retension system (winner of ICAST 2009) the very popular sun glass retainer company has joined us.
- 1.6.2011 update: Added Reef Safe Suncare products to our list of sponsors.
- 1.6.2011 update: Pirate’s Pointe Resort came on board as a sponsor today giving away a 3 days 2 nights to the lucky winner. Located near the tournament, on the water, so if you’re from out of town check them out. Salty Fly anglers, you will have your boat in the water no charge and you will get off season prices for the cottages.
- 1.4.2011 update: Airflo fly lines has joined us as well as Echo Fly Rods.
- 1.4.2011 update: I got an email from Royal Wulf today confirming they will be sending us some lines to raffle off. One of my favorite lines for Florida fishing!
- 12.20.2010 update: added another sponsor today, flatsjunkie.com and we got in the Scott S4S “Salty Fly” engrave fly rod in today as well.
“The Largest Fly fishing tournament in Florida.“
Salty Fly Tournament “Spots and Dots”
Purpose: Grass Root, affordable, open to all skill levels.
The purpose is to have fun and promote the growth of Saltwater Fly fishing.
We are keeping the entry fees low to encourage people to fly fish, have some fun and not make it all about the money.
Fly only, no scent, no chumming.
When: February 26th 2010
Where: Tampa, Florida
- 2 red fish 1 trout, take photos of your largest fish next to a measuring board along with your id chip(we give you that day)
- 2 man teams only (limit 40 teams to keep things under control)
- If kayak teams you and your partner must be in the line of sight.
- Wading is allowed but you need to be in the line of site of your vessel and partner.
- Entry fee is $80 per team($40 per person). Part of this money will go towards shirt cost. There will be Cash payouts at the weigh in for the top 3 teams along with raffles.
- Teams registering by Feb 10th will receive tournament shirts and a captain’s bag. If you register after that there is no guarantee you will get a captain’s bag with all the goodies.
Calcutta: Redfish with most spot, one side. A $10 optional tournament with in a tournament. Winner takes all.
Boundaries: As long as you check in at 6am and be back by 3pm the boundaries are open.
The Trophies will be pretty cool: Nautilusreels is going to make us Gold reel plates for 1st Silver for 2nd and Bronze for 3rd.
Cash pay out: will depend on how many people enter the tournament. 50% goes to 1st, 30% for 2nd, 20% for 3rd.
- Bonus money: Wangchor is also giving an extra $100 in cash for the highest finishing team that owns wang anchor.
Tournament Shirts: In order to get everyone tournament shirts we will have to take some cash out of the entry fees. Redzone Apparel will be doing our shirts.
Raffle items: Everyone as long as they show up for the weigh in is eligible for the the raffle. Once you turn in your photo chip checking back in we will hand you your raffle tickets. We got a TFO BVK 8wt and lots of fishing apparel from Simms, SWC, BLAF, RedZone, and gift certificates.
Where at: We will be holding the 6am Captain’s meeting at the Winn Dixie parking lot next to Cherry’s restaurant. We will be back there by 3pm for the weigh in. This place has plenty of parking for boats and are pretty cool people. Besides we get to hang out and drink beer and BS which is half the fun.
Registration: Registration is now open click here, Sign up before Feb10th and you are guaranteed a captain’s bag otherwise you take your chances.
Remember it is limited to 40 teams, so first come first serve.
The support from the sponsors has been over the top. With out these guys we wouldn’t have much if any prizes to give out.
Still working on the list of sponsors because it keeps growing.
Wang Anchor: $500 cold hard cash, anyone with a Wanganchor gets $20 off the entry fee. If any is left over it goes to the winner’s purse. Plus he’s gonna throw in $100.00 to the highest finishing team which has a wang anchor. That is what I call a vendor who supports his customers!
Redzone Apparel: Custom Micro Fiber Tournament shirts valued at $3200
Scott Fly rods: Scott S4S fly rod valued at $700
Skinnywater Culture: Head wear valued at $800
Nautilus Reels: Custom trophies made from Nautilus reels. One of a kind
Florida Sportsman Magazines: Fishing planners $400
Temple Fork Outfitters: TFO BVK 8wt Fly Rod valued at $250
Breathe Like a Fish: Mask and BLAF shirts, Vented fishing shirts
I Hunt Fish: Apparel, micro fiber shirts with built in Buffs
Croakies: Sunglasses straps and belts
Flintcreek outfitters: Captain’s Bags, Shirts, Fly Boxes and water bottles pus $100 gift certificate.
Carbon Marine: Gift Certificate $100 gift cerificate
Simms: Apparel and boat bag valued at about $200
Tampa Bay On The Fly: Apparel
Castaway Customs: Custom Sea Dek photo chips and custom seadek pads
Finatic Designs: Custom Prints, decals and apparel
Captain Rick DePaiva: 16x 20 metallic tailing redfish print
Cheeky fly reels: various schwags
Freedom Hawk Kayaks: (2) Precision Pak Yak Pak 3 valued at $115 each
Galvin Fly Reels: Salty Fly Engraved Fly Reel
Maxima Lines: 80 spool of 15lb tippet material, one per angler
Flats Junkie: head Wear Mask and Apparel
Pirate’s Point Resort: 3 days 2 night stay, plus discount for tournament anglers. Free in water boat docking.
Reef Safe Suncare: 40 pieces of suncare lotion and a gift bag.
Cablz Eyewear retention system: 80 pieces of Sun Glass retainer for the captain’s bag value $1,000.00
Little Harbor Resort: Certificate for 2 day 1 night stay at the resort. Special Salty Fly angler rates: $89-$109. Free boat parking. (Mention Salty Fly)
Echo Fly Rods: Fly Rod, to be raffled off at the weigh in
Maxima leader Material: 40 spools of leader material for Captain’s bag
G.Loomis: 2 Cross Current rods. A 7 and 8 wt. valued at $900.00
We have capped out at 40 teams.
Yes we will take people on stand by if it all spots has been taken.
|1||Tu Mardre||Richard Traugott/Alonso|
|2||Merkin Groomers||Jose Chavez/Evan|
|3||SaltyWang||Tom Tylis/Sam Root|
|7||Fred Everson/Chet Jennings|
|11||Breathe Like a Fish||Kent Hickman/Bob C.|
|13||Shallow Minded||Tom C/Robert F|
|15||Carbon Marine||Joe Welborne/John W.|
|16||The Goonies||Eddie O/Willy Le|
|20||Skinny Water Culture||Vince S/Chase Handcock|
|24||Conch Republic||Fred H/Dusty|
|26||Shawn P/Joe K|
|30||Tampa Bay on the Fly||Brad/Enver|
|31||The Fly guys||Jim D/Rhett|
|32||Southpaw Slingers||Jack Ehrhardt & Aaron Carraux|
|40||Strippin’ & Dippin||Brian S/Cipolla J.|
Over Flow Teams that made it.
- Sean K
- John B. fishbuzz
- Kris H
- Jim Lemke/Cheeky
- Alexander Hoffner